In order to get what you want from life, you have to know what that is in the first place. That sounds pretty simple but you’d be surprised at how many individuals think they know what they want but once they realise their goal they’re not happy. The reason for that is what they have isn’t what they want.
One way to make sure your wants are authentic to you is to follow this five stop programme. Incidentally, it’ll also show you how to achieve those wants – as we’ve found here ourselves at Future Diamond:
- Clarity. Establish why you want something in the first place. Once you’ve done that it’ll inspire you to stay right on track.
- Action. It helps to break down your goals into small steps. That way you can see yourself ‘getting there.’ It’s a good idea to write down three tasks you can do every day that are helping you work towards your goal. For example if it’s to move house, you could find an estate agent, paint a room and organise for a plumber to come in and fix that leaky pipe.
- Sensory Acuity. Make sure your strategy is working by continually checking those steps against your ultimate goal. Are they getting you any clearer to it? If not, rethink your strategy to ensure you remain on the right path.
- Behavioural Flexibility: If the last point shows you’re not moving in the right direction then be prepared to switch to plan B, C or even D. It always helps to have substitute plans in reserve.
- Expectations of Self: What are you capable of when it comes to reaching your goals? Are you under-estimating your abilities? In other words, could you actually do more than you are at present?
To sum up, it’s important to look where you’re at when it comes to achieving your goals. Next, work out where you want to be and how to get there. Could it be that you need to change direction?